Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Reminiscent Laughter

The holidays are a wonderful time. First, you usually get at least a short break from work...longer for some of us :)! Second, you get to see friends and family. Finally, and J's favorite, you get to reminisce and laugh. This is what happened with our family last night.

First, when we arrived back to Minot we stopped by Grandma's to see Auntie Beth, "Mountain Man" Greg (he was wearing a plaid shirt and flip-flops- forever the surfer!), and cuz Nick. We often forget how fast time flies by. For instance, Nick and I had to run out to the store to get something. When we were driving around Nick and I were talking about Grandma's house and he asked me a question that seemed so foolish to me but when I realized why he was asking made me feel.....well old. Nick asked where did grandma live before she lived at the condo. For me the answer was a DUH....at the old house at the experiment station. Then Nick said something that made me realize how fast time has passed....he said J I don't remember anything before Grandma's new place. It has been over 13 years since Grandma moved into the new place. My cuz is only 18...no wonder he doesn't remember he was 5. The cool part was that I got to run him out to the experiment station quick and we talked about how Minot has changed since I lived her and how it has changed every year he comes back. To think my "little" cousin is in college.

Later on in the evening we (Ethen, Jayla, C and I) retired to the casa de Mom and Dad Askvig. When we got there Mom and Dad were still awake waiting to visit with us. E, Jayla, Mom, C and I stayed up until about midnight telling old stories and laughing about past misdeeds. Some of my favorites were E getting a D-grade in 3rd grade just to see what it was like, Josh not going to get pushed off of his bike because E decided to be a smart ass to bigger older kids, E telling dad he still got a star for the day because he didn't hit one more kid.... We all laughed and had a great time telling stories.

Man time flies.......especially with reminisicent laughter....

No comments: